Since they wanted their own space, Jane asked if I would help locate a home for them to rent while they were here visiting. Since I knew it was going to be super hot during their visit, I only looked at rentals with swimming pools. I found a beautiful home with a pool that was available and right across the street from us! After some negotiating, the Seattleites signed up to be our neighbors in Provence! After spending a couple of days visiting family in Paris, they took the TGV to Avignon where I met them at the station. I couldn’t get over how much Sam and Nancy had grown up, but I knew that Jane and Charlie would say the same thing about Lucie and Kathleen. (They were still in school at the time so they didn’t go with me to the train station.) They got their rental car and I lead the way to Eygalieres.
As Jane and Charlie got settled in their lovely rental home, my girls got home from school and reunited with Sam and Nancy. It was like no time had passed…they fell back into being friends just like they had been when they were little! We celebrated our reunion with a Provencal dinner together and lots of wine…the first of many meals that we would share over the next week and a half. Early on, Jane pulled out her trusty red notebook to make lists of what they wanted to do while in Provence…hiking, biking, visiting Glanum and Pont du Gard, seeing the Camargue and doing the market were all on the list. We all agreed, however, that just living in the village and taking part in the daily life of Eygalieres was an enriching aspect of the experience. So, this allowed us all time to relax together at their pool or at our house, hanging out and chit chatting just like old times. We set up a system of hiding our key so that the kids could go back and forth between the houses as they wished. They had sleepovers, played cards and laughed a lot. Meanwhile, the parents visited, drank wine and made lots of lists. We did make it to a number of tourist attractions including the Camargue, Glanum and Les Baux, but for me, the best part of their visit was their company. It was wonderful to have Jane, Charlie, Sam and Nancy as neighbors again.
Jane thrilled by the possibilities at the Intermarche...
Bucky and Charlie during dinner out at La Petite Table...
Jane and Charlie in the Camargue...
Four friends in the Carmargue...
And again...
Nancy and Kathleen....not missing a beat....
Just like old times...
Bucky reading The Declaration of Independence...
The happy campers listening...
Sam and Lucie (and Pippi of course!)
No comments:
Post a Comment