Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vet Visit

Our 16 year-old Siamese cat, Baci, has been feeling puny lately so we decided to take him to a vet. Bucky had stopped by a vet in St. Remy last fall to ask a question about pet supplies so we opted to go there for medical attention. When Bucky and I were out running errands the other day, we stopped at the vet office to make an appointment. (It is often easier to communicate in person than over the phone especially when talking about cat issues.) So, when we entered the establishment, I told the woman at the counter that I would like to make an appointment for my cat. She asked what the issue was. I explained and she said that we could come in anytime between the hours of 8:30am and noon and 3:00pm and 7:00pm with our cat and see a veterinarian. I have discovered this is the way that you see a vet or a people doctor…you go during the designated hours and wait patiently for your turn.

So, that afternoon, we returned to the vet’s office with Baci. Originally, I wasn’t planning on accompanying Bucky and Baci, but on second thought decided my French might come in handy communicating Baci’s issues with the veterinarian. We arrived, got signed in and went to the waiting room to wait with about five other pet owners and their dogs. Dogs are a big thing in France – they are sort of like people – they are welcome in stores, bars, restaurants and even trains! At any rate, we waited our turn and tried to protect Baci from the panting, heaving snurffles of the unusually high number of bulldogs and pugs that were also waiting to see the vet. Finally, a couple of our new smash-faced friends were called so we could see our turn approaching.

While I was checking Facebook on my iphone (a great time-killer when waiting), I heard someone say Monsieur Wall so Bucky and I jumped to attention with Baci in hand. The short, sturdy, 60-something veterinarian escorted us to the examining room (which included his desk and computer) and asked us what the problem was. I explained Baci’s ailments and then the doctor delicately examined the patient. The doctor was quickly confident that a blood test was in order so he pulled together his tools to perform the task. He instructed Bucky and me to hold Baci, and then he proceeded to tie a thick rubber band (just like the ones we have tied around our upper arms when we’re are having a blood test!) on Baci’s front paw. He clipped some of Baci’s fur and searched for a vein. (Bucky and I looked at each other with surprise because in all of our years of cat ownership, we had never witnessed a vet actually doing the blood test – our cats had always been taken to the back by an assistant and returned pretty pissed off.) During the procedure, the doctor spoke calmly and sweetly to Baci telling him ‘not to be scared’ and to ‘be calm’ all in French of course. I repeated everything to Baci in English and reminded the doctor that Baci didn’t speak French. The doctor thought that was hilarious!

He was unable to find a good vein in the leg he first checked out, so he switched to the other front one. Bucky and I held Baci and talked to him during this entire time. I wasn’t sure if other pet owners talk this much to their animal when at the vet’s office, so I explained to the doctor that we just wanted to talk to Baci and make him feel as comfortable as possible. The doctor said that was exactly what we should be doing – I didn’t want him to think we were crazy – or talking about him for that matter! Finally, he was able to take some blood and then dashed off to test it. He said he would be back in about 10 minutes with the results. Zut alor! Anytime we have had a blood test done on a cat in the states, it had taken at least a week to get the results! The doctor returned to the examining room/his office in about 10 minutes as promised and had the results for us.

After explaining the blood work, the doctor gave us the appropriate medication and then ushered us out to the receptionist. With a quick, strong handshake, he was off to his next patient. I paid while Bucky talked to Baci and let him know we were heading home. We then headed out to the car and agreed it had been a successful first trip to the French vet, although I am not sure Baci would agree.


Baci relaxing post vet visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment