Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wonderful weekend



For the end of the girls’ two week winter break, we had Josepha Defaix, our friend from Lyon, come down and visit for a couple of days. The three girls had a great time together dressing up the American Girl dolls, playing with the cool Egyptian Playmobil set that Kathleen got for Christmas, and goofing off outside and in the petite maison. On Friday evening, Bucky and I then boarded all three girls on a TGV headed to Lyon for the weekend. They were off to spend a few days with the Defaix’s, so Bucky and I immediately headed to the first non-kid, English speaking movie we had seen in a very long time, Up in the Air (called In the Air here in France). We saw it at this cute little theatre in Avignon – it has a bar and a restaurant attached to it, and note that you can get a glass of wine before or after the show, but there is no popcorn for sale! Even without the popcorn, we had a wonderful time albeit the movie was a bit depressing.

Saturday morning, we went a brocante (an antiques sale) in Senas, leisurely walking through displays and oohing and awing over the beautiful, old items and the huge price tags. We left empty handed, but glad we had gone. We then headed to Aix en Provence to watch our second non-kid, English speaking movie of the weekend, Brothers. The theatre in Aix only plays VO (Version Originale) movies so there are always a number of English speaking movies! Plus, this theatre sells popcorn (either salted or sweet) in the cute little plastic tubs (with a top and handle!) that I just love. (I dream about what I am going to use the tubs for…crayons, clothespins, rubberbands, the list is endless). Anyway – we didn’t just go for the tubs…the movie was great, but totally intense. When it was over, we felt like going to get a stiff drink, but resisted, and instead walked along the Cours Mirabeau people-watching and listening to street musicians.

On Sunday, day three of no kids, we knew we wanted to watch another movie, but there wasn’t one playing close by that appealed to us. Bucky and I were both in the mood for something light and funny after the two heavy hitters we had seen earlier in the weekend. So, we rented The Proposal on I-tunes and watched in on our computer with popcorn and all! (Per Bucky’s request, my mom brought popcorn kernels from the states on her last visit and I wasn’t sure why he has asked for them, but I have certainly come to appreciate them! Bucky makes the perfect pan of popcorn and it was a wonderful addition to our Sunday movie!) The Proposal (with Sandra Bullock) made us both laugh out loud numerous times and was a good choice for a light movie.

That evening we headed to the Avignon train station to pick up Lucie and Kathleen. They rode the train back from Lyon on their own and were very excited about it. (En route, Lucie texted me and said she had asked another passenger if he would change seats with her – in French, of course – so that she could sit next to her sister. I was so proud!) They had a wonderful weekend with the Defaix’s…they played outside, fed the neighbor’s cat, baked brownies, did various art projects, ate delicious food, and they too saw a movie, Oceans. They said it was a beautiful display of colors and life in the deep, and that there were very few words (which was nice because it was in French!). After hearing about their visit at Chateau Defaix, I reminded them that they would have to get up early the next morning for school, which they were not excited about. But we did agree that we had all a wonderful long weekend with friends and each other and that it was time to get back to a routine.
We brought a mask from Venice for Josepha so here she is with some help to put it on...
Voila with the mask!
Girls before heading out to the petite maison...
Josepha and Kathleen playing on their Nintendo DSs in bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment