Friday, March 19, 2010

Le Cirque!

During the 1950’s, one-ring circuses used to make the circuit of the little communities that dotted the South Carolina Lowcountry. Beaufort was still small enough to qualify for such a venue, and when the circus came to town it was a big deal. My first circus, though, was the spectacular Ringling Brothers – Barnum & Bailey Circus. I saw it while I was visiting my Aunt Ida in Jacksonville; then a full day’s drive from Beaufort. So, when I had an opportunity to see the small variety, I had to be dragged there by my parents. I’m glad they made me go, because while the three-ring version was something to see, the night I went to the simple one-ringer created a memory for me that still resonates.

When the small performance began, I started to look around at the crowd; since, of course, this was nothing to compare to what I had witnessed in the big city. Then my eyes caught the face of Danny, one of my classmates in elementary school. He came from a poor family and lived on Lady’s Island in what would be considered by today’s terms as a shack. I’m sure he had never been as far as the Whale Branch Bridge. What I saw in his face is a snapshot that could’ve happened yesterday, it’s so clear to me. He had a look of wonder. The costumes were not shabby to Danny. They sparkled and were magical. The flea-bitten lion was as fierce as in the jungles of darkest Africa. The clown was the funniest thing he had ever seen. The look on his face changed me and continues to. I saw for the first time through someone else’s eyes. And it was beautiful.

Kathleen and I saw a thing of beauty last week. A small circus came to Eygalieres. The costumes were in better shape and the acrobats were more skilled than the ones I remembered from that night in Beaufort. But the children saw it with just as much wonder as Danny. It was rainy and a poor turnout. But I’m glad we went. We both liked it. Danny would have liked it, too.


Posters all over town announcing the Cirque

Rainy day at the big top

Big horse in the small ring
Little hrose in the big ring

Rope acrobatics!



In mid air

Chair balancing


Wow!


An exotic lama


Kathleen's favorite - the spitting camel!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment