Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Projects

As Bucky worked diligently on the garden, I focused on making the house as comfortable and aesthetically pleasing as possible. Since this is a temporary abode, we can't do everything that we would want to, but we do like to be as settled as possible anywhere we are so we have really have tried to make this as home-y as we can. At our first Vide Grenier (flea market), we bought an outside table and four chairs made of iron. Practically everybody in Provence has this set up so we decided we needed it to. We bargained with the seller for a decent price and then quickly put "paint the table and chairs" on our to-do list. (The table was brown, two of the chairs were green and the other two were blue.) I got around to the painting this week...At one of our favorite stores (Castorama - think Lowe's or Home Depot) we found just the right color for the furniture - bleu lavande. We have discovered that paint here is very expensive, but haven't figured out why. We went ahead and bit the bullet, bought the paint and headed home to paint. In addition, we bought vert olivier (a provencal green) for the doors of the petite maison. So, we had our work cut out for us. Luckily, the weather cooperated and we got the painting finished in a couple of days.

Another project I had in mind was a bed/couch for our garden. Inspired by Chateau Defaix where they have two such decadent lounging spots, Bucky and I have been on the lookout for an iron bedframe since we arrived in Eygalieres. On one of our many trips to the garage to check on our car (long story for a separate blog!), we spotted just the thing at a depot vente (consignment store). The price was right so we bought it, crammed it in our car and brought it home. Then, we had to find a mattress. We didn't want to spend much which was a challenge, so we ended up using one that we had here at the house. It was a perfect fit and made the outside bed into an outside couch. We then headed to another one of our favorite stores, Fly, and bought a cover for the mattress and some pillows to spruce it up. We plan to spend as much time out there as possible until the weather forces us to pack it up for the winter. We will then look forward to spring with more anticipation knowing we have a place to lounge when the sun is out.


The petite maison with painted doors...


The table and chairs with the couch...



Kathleen enjoying the couch!

1 comment:

  1. You must know i am completely in love with the table and chairs and also love love love the sofa! I am excited for you! Going to flea markets and making things her own is just about the most fun a gal can have. One would think my estate sale days are over but guess what they are not!

    I am going to blog as soon as I can... Need to post some photos of our new digs.

    thinking of you.

    p.s. Chemicals in general are much more expensive in Europe, I believe. I think it is because they tax those companies so harshly because they damage the environment in the mfg and disposal. We can research this more later. But I think I heard that somewhere when we lived in Sweden. Remember how expensive dry cleaning was there!!! Gosh I only used the dry cleaners there in desperate times!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete