Monday, June 14, 2010

Hiking

Recently, on a sunny day, Bucky and I discovered a relatively easy hiking trail that starts near our house and heads into the Alpilles. The hiking system in Provence is rather sophisticated with markers that indicate different trails and help even the most novice hiker find his or her way. In this case, Bucky and I followed a trail marked by a red line above a white one. It was our first time trying the system out and I will admit, we made a couple of wrong turns, but we were able to easily get back on track. We enjoyed investigating unknown areas, and had fun chit chatting as we enjoyed the view. We talked about how the girls would appreciate the hike and we agreed that we would encourage them to come with us the next time we went.

Last Saturday morning, the weather was lovely and cool and it seemed like the outdoors were calling us to come for a walk. So, we strongly encouraged (read: made) the girls join us. I think both Bucky and I had visions of a nice family outing in the French countryside. We failed to anticipate the disdain the girls would express during our trek. Lucie constantly complained about the heat (which there was none of) and the lack of water (which we had not brought along for the mere 30 minute jaunt). Kathleen asked numerous questions about where we were going and when we would get there. The girls also bickered with each other over a pine cone that Kathleen had found and a stick that Lucie had discovered. Bucky and I walked ahead, rolled our eyes and agreed the family hike was not a success. Next time we go, it will just be Bucky, myself and the great outdoors!


Resting (for Kathleen) in the shade (for Lucie)....


Some riders who were on the trail...there was talk about hijacking the horses and galloping off into the wild blue yonder, but we decided against it....


One of the views that Bucky and I enjoyed as the girls griped! C'est la vie, n'est pas??

1 comment:

  1. Try playing explore games with them or tell them there's a prize for the person who finds the most interesting rock/plant/item. Love those hikes, wish I could do it with you (we could bring wine!).

    ReplyDelete