Sunday, April 11, 2010

Friends and a fountain

Last week while I was outside in my front yard puttering around, a woman called me over to our front gate. It was evident that she had a question about something and her tentative French told me that she was a tourist. I immediately told her that I was American and spoke English. Relieved that she didn’t have to explain her situation in French, she told me that she was visiting from Australia with her teenage daughter and was looking for an internet cafĂ© where she could use a computer to communicate with family back home. I told her that our small town doesn’t have such a facility, and welcomed her into our home to use our computer. It turns out that our new friend, Deirdre, and her daughter, Jo, were hiking throughout Provence for a few weeks, but that Jo was feeling poorly so they were basically just hanging out in Eygalieres for a couple of days and then going to Fontaine de Vaucluse for their next stop. They were without a car, so we offered to take them to their next destination the following day. The girls decided to stay home, so Bucky and I took our new friends and enjoyed the beautiful town and lovely, clean flowing water of Fontaine de Vaucluse, one of the most powerful springs in the world. We even had a lovely lunch along the river with Deirdre as Jo rested back at their hotel. After a wonderful meal, we bid our new friend farewell with promises to keep in touch. Another place to explore…Australia!


The flowing water of the Sorgue...


Bucky admiring the river on our walk...


The underground spring...


Deirdre!

No comments:

Post a Comment