When I was a kid, TV viewing was pretty much a family affair. With only the Big Three to choose from, the available viewing was fairly limited to variety shows, the news (Walter, of course), a few game shows, an occasional movie (during Christmas) and westerns. We would all gather around the Idiot Box and join in the viewing pleasure as a family.
In France, we have continued this tradition. Although with only the four French TV channels available, we don't spend a lot of time in front of the current version of the Idiot Box. Instead we all gather in the master bedroom and huddle in front of the laptop, where we view the programs provided by iTunes and YouTube.
While not quite the 500 channels we would get back in the states, we do get some great shows. Our favorites are Top Chef, Amazing Race and Project Runway. The cats join in as well and soak up the warmth from the computer.
The best part about this type of TV viewing for me is that since it does take a bit of planning and set up, it's something we plan together and enjoy as a family.
Just like when I was a kid, a family affair....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Do you guys remember the show A Family Affair with Sebastian Cabot as a butler and Brian Keith as a single father to a little girl and boy named Buffy and Jody? We used to love that show, and all the sisters watched it together.
ReplyDeleteCharlie and I love to watch TV together, we have certain shows we are into. 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, The Office, and Modern Family, which you must check out. (it's newish, ABC, I think). Unfortunately I have no company when tuning in to Top Chef. Ulf HATES those competition shows.
xx.