In France, men do not carry backpacks. No self-respecting Frenchman would be caught dead with a backpack. Backpacks are for kids. No, in France, men carry what we have affectionately called their "Murse". While smaller and less stylish than a woman's purse, the murse is the same idea: rectangular bag with a long strap to go around your head and hang from your shoulder. In my attempt to become more French, I got one as well. I have found it to be useful (mine has a shiny metal clasp and an outside pocket for my cell phone.) So now, instead of just digging through Jean's purse to look for something I can't find, I get to dig through mine!

Murse for sale in a fancy men's clothing store.
The author with his murse.
I would love it if my husband would carry a "murse." I have to carry my stuff and his, too!
ReplyDeleteoh bucky. sigh. it's your feminine side again. rearing its ugly head. ulf has a manbag (in these parts it's called a manbag), it's sort of kidney-bean shaped. I encourage him not to carry it. Murse sounds like a dirty word! oh buck.
ReplyDelete