Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Our first injury

Well, we had to make our first (and hopefully only!) trip to the hospital today...Yesterday afternoon, I picked up the girls from French as usual, but coming down the stairs at Inflexyon, I misjudged and missed a step. I fell (not so gracefully according to Lucy and Kathleen) to the landing below and the girls asked if I was okay. I quickly said that I was, and they helped me up. I basically then hobbled to the metro station as they filled me in on the details of their French lesson. (They had a new teacher so there was lots to tell!)

At any rate, I forged ahead, taking the girls to the library as promised. They had to return a couple of DVDs and some books and wanted to get some new things. I limped along with a painful ankle, but was okay. We then headed to Monoprix (a cool store somewhat like Target, but with more groceries-Monoprix pretty much warrants a blog entry of its own, so stayed tuned!) and then home - all on foot. My foot was sore, but I was really fine.

Bucky was more concerned when we got home so he insisted I rest, and I enjoyed being lazy while he prepared dinner. When we got ready for bed, Bucky poked around the internet to figure out our medical options just in case we had to make a trip somewhere today. Which is just what happened...when we woke up this morning, I was still in pain so we spent some time on the internet and then gave Blue Cross Blue Shield (our insurers) a call and they were extremely helpful. I spoke with a nurse and she encouraged me to go get my ankle x-rayed. She assured us that we could go to any hospital in our area, pay for the services, and then submit the charges for reimbursement.

We left the girls at home (happily watching a movie), and Bucky and I headed out to Hopital de la Croix-Rousse. When we left, I thought I could walk there (it is only about 6 blocks away), but one block into it, we decided to take a taxi. The driver thought we were nuts because our destination was so close, but I explained to him that I was in pain, so he begrudgingly gave us a lift.

Checking in at the emergency room was pretty easy...just like any other ER experience that I have had - although this one was in French. Everyone was pleasant and helpful and we were sent to wait in the waiting room. Pretty quickly, someone came to the room and asked for Monsier Wall...I corrected him and said that it was Madame Wall. For those of you who don't know, Jean in French is really John so it is a man's name here. When we got back to the examination room, the doctor had to go into the computer and change my identity from man to woman. It was pretty funny. Anyway - he did the examination, asked me questions, and then took me to radiology for an x-ray. The x-ray technician was also surprised when she called for Jean Wall, and I showed up. She was expecting a man I assume. She even asked me twice what my first and last names were!

After the x-ray, we headed back to the ER waiting room where we had to wait for a very long time. I guess while I was in radiology, everyone in Croix-Rousse got sick because the ER had filled up. There were people (mostly old) on gurneys throughout the hallway. There was even a really sick looking younger woman in a wheelchair in waiting room. Bucky and I watched as the medical professionals wandered around in their white coats looking busy, but not very efficient. The examination rooms in the ER all had these huge doors with no windows. To see what or whom was inside, you had to open the door. Well, the people who worked there seemed to constantly be looking for someone, opening and closing the doors along the hallway. It about drove me nuts!

Finally, I was called in to have my x-rays read and the doctor addressed Bucky (assuming he was Jean Wall) to start out. I corrected him and let him know that I was in fact Jean Wall and that I was American which is why my name is different. Ahh! Okay! Anyway - my ankle was not broken, but I had torn some ligaments. He said that I would need my foot wrapped for support, be given a prescription for some pain medication, and would probably feel better in about 10 days. Phew! No break. Both Bucky and I were thrilled.

We were escorted to chairs outside of the bandaging room where we then waited for what seemed like FOREVER! It was a long wait, but they had lots of people in there so I tried to be patient. Finally, a nurse called for me (and said Madame this time!) and then took me in to bandage me up. My foot felt much more secure after she put the splint on, we got my prescription and then headed to check out. The bill was not yet ready so the woman at the desk said she would send it to me - really easy! So, I hobbled home feeling humble about my fall, but happy that Bucky and I had made it through the hurdle of a French hospital! We hope that it will be our one and only visit.


My bandaged foot. Fortunately, I painted my toenails yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. Oooohh my god, you poor thing. (How many movies did your kids watch!??) What a frustrating experience but i'm so proud you handled all of it in French. You should change your name to Jeannie or something -- that man/woman thing is going to drive you nuts!!!!! But I hope you are ok, hope you are feeling better soon. Hey, the picture of your foot looks like all my photos!! Get well soon, girlie. love.

    ReplyDelete