During the summer, however, there is a temporary ban. The fear of the summer mistrals whipping flames through the Alpilles is enough for even the most dedicated burner to put down his matches for a while (I say "He" because it is definitely a male activity). But these are difficult times for him and with the coming of the autumn lifting of the ban, the Provencal blue sky becomes a virtual LA with the burning of all that has been carefully piled up during the hot months.
Burning comes to a zenith this month with the final falling of leaves. For not only do leaves produce flame, they also put out almost as much smoke as a burning tire.
In my ongoing attempt to become more Provencal, I recently took burning to heart. Employing the excuse of using fire to rid my dormant garden beds of weeds, I decided to forgo the usual trip to the dump, instead I raked and piled the leaves high into my garden. Then, after soaking them well with charcoal lighter, I turned the pile into a blaze of glory that not only made a great bonfire, but engulfed the entire Place Marcel Bonein with rich, deep smoke. Ahhh, and what a sweet smell it was!
So to my friends in the states who read this, as you contemplate the filling of the dozen or so bags of leaves after you spent all day raking, just once pretend you are in Provence, pile the suckers high and set them ablaze! You won’t regret it!

Your blogger becomming Provencal!
No comments:
Post a Comment