Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Trip to Wine Country


The Beaujolais region of France borders on the areas around Lyon. So, of course I HAD to plan a trip. My plan was to visit small domains along the way, buying a bottle or two here and there and make an event of it.

The problem, of course, is that it is:

Summer – Beaujolais season is in the late fall/early winter (remember that the Nouveau Beaujolais comes out on 16 November.)

August – and all the French are gone – even the domain owners.

Our destination was the town of Beaujeu, where the entire town was essentially closed. We found one restaurant open and had a great meal and a small bottle of Beaujolais-Villages that was a local wine poured into a refillable bottle. Accepting the fact that no wine would be found to buy, we then headed back to Couzon…

But wait! As Jean was attempting to navigate, I spotted a domain that was actually open! I turned the car around and bought three bottles of wine from LA CAVES DES VIGERONS DU DOURY. Yea!!!

One is chilling as I write.

Bucky

No comments:

Post a Comment